AJAX MEN’S SLO-PITCH ASSOCIATION
The league will follow Softball Canada / Slo-Pitch Ontario rules, with the following rules being added, modified, or particularly brought to the attention of all concerned.
Additional ground rules may be added to suit each field and the conditions for the day.
1) Regular season games shall be a maximum of 7 innings. No new inning will start after 55 minutes and the game will end at the 65 minute mark (“drop-dead time”). The umpire may declare last inning at the start of an inning or at any point in an inning that has not already been affected by the runs-per-inning rule (rule 4), including at the end of the inning thereby ending the game. If the last inning determination is made during the bottom of an inning while the home team is ahead, the game may end at that point (no need to finish the inning). The umpire is empowered to ensure a team does not benefit if they slow the game for the purpose of preventing an additional inning or forcing an end of game “drop-dead time” call. If the score is tied after the last inning no extra innings will be played and the result will be a tie game (one point will be awarded to each team).
2) If a game ends at the “drop dead” time (inning in progress), the outcome of the game is determined as follows: [A] If the home team is winning when the game is called, the score at that time stands. [B] If the home team is losing when the game is called, the score reverts back to the end of the previous inning (could be a win, tie or loss for the home team). [C] If the home team was winning at the start of the inning but the game is tied when it is called, the score reverts back to the end of the previous inning. [D] If the game was tied at the start of the inning and is tied when the game is called, the tie score at the time the game is called stands. [E] If the home team was losing at the start of the inning but the game is tied when it is called, the tied score at the time the game is called stands.
3) Time limit (although the allowed time may be different) still applies to playoff games except for finals. In playoff games extra innings will be played if necessary to break a tie, using the international tie breaking rule (last batter due up in each half-inning starts as runner at 2nd base, nobody out).
4) There is a mercy rule of a maximum of 7 runs scored per half inning. The only exception is in the last inning which will be an ‘open’ inning. There is no ‘game’ run differential mercy rule.
5) A game that ends early due to weather or other conditions will be considered official if at least 4 innings have been played (or 3 ½ innings if the home team has at least as many runs as the visiting team). A game that ends early due to time limit will be considered official regardless of the number of innings played.
6) Game/lineup cards for each game, with the final score and umpire’s signature, are to be submitted by the winning team (or home team in case of a tie) into the AMSA mail box (located at diamond 2 at Sportsplex). Cards will be used to monitor reported game scores, defaults, ejections, comments from umpires and team reps., etc. Scores are also to be submitted via the league website within 24 hours of the game (late submission will result in the team losing 1 point).
- Next >>